NASA is planning further coordination with Roskosmos in order to finally reach a consensus on the issue of the flight to the ISS of the new American spacecraft Crew Dragon in unmanned mode. Kirk Shirman, managing the ISS program at the American Space Agency, spoke about this when he spoke at a briefing at the John F. Kennedy Space Center.
According to NASA employees, they fully support the plan to send Crew Dragon to the ISS, as previously reported, on March 2, 2019. However, the Russian side on this issue in some moments feels a certain fear.
“As they have concerns, we will continue to work with them in this direction. We must understand the reasons for this. Now on board the station is their employee Oleg Kononenko, and they, of course, have invested a lot in all this. We will continue to work, and I am sure that we will eventually succeed in achieving a single point of view, ”said Shirman.
Having learned about the intention of the Americans to soon dock a new spacecraft to the ISS, they expressed concern in Roscosmos. They said that there are several options for docking American ships, in which there may be risks for both the crew and the station itself. But what specific risks in question, the state corporation has not said.
Until 2011, NASA delivered its astronauts to orbit on its own spacecraft, but then the Space Shuttle program was completed. I had to appeal to the Russian Federation with a request to provide seats on board the Soyuz. The corresponding contract between NASA and Roskosmos ends at the end of this year, and the commercial American companies SpaceX and Boeing are doing everything to prepare for this moment new manned transport ships and no longer depend on Russian technology.